Saturday, October 11, 2008

What comes before Part B? Part-Ay! (Scrubs fans, back me up here.)

Hey all,

I know it's been a little while since I last blogged, but I guess I needed a little break, especially over those few days preceding yom kippur. I tried to take it really seriously this year, spent a lot of time writing out and thinking out all the things I felt sorry for, and things I want to improve on. The day itself was pretty intense as a result, and by the end of it, I was nothing short of exhausted. it was a good thing, though. I feel pretty refreshed, renewed, re-everythinged.

So now I have a 2.5 week break from classes. All the schools have off now, and it's pretty much a big party in Jerusalem. Succot is apparently tons of fun here, with lots of concerts and festivals. It's already pretty cool to walk around and see zillions of succahs popping up everywhere - people just build them on the streets, and on porches, and on top of other ones. Everyone needs one, since the men have to sleep in them. I'm actually getting a real sense of what it's like to have a whole population just move out of their homes to live in temporary dwellings for a while, which I suppose is the point. I never really felt that about the holiday since I'm used to a succah on the roof of my elementary school/shul, but now that I'm surrounded by them it's kind of hard not to get into it. I've also been learning a lot about it, how it's the happiest time of year, since we are all brand new people now, with totally clean slates and happy minds, finally ready to take on the year. It's the only holiday where we are told numerous times to do it "b'simcha" - in happiness. So, yeah, it's one big party. And Simchat Torah will be fun too...lots of dancing and whatnot. Hopefully with the holidays I can keep busy over the break but to be honest, I kind of wish we were just going right back to classes... I'm a loser like that. ;) I mean, I'm COOL like that! :)

Also, some friends and I are renting a car and driving up north for a few days, which should be a good time. We're gonna play it by ear I think, just kind of go to random places and see what's what. I've always craved that kind of adventurousness, just kind of taking off and seeing what happens, so it'll be fun to do that for a bit. A few years ago Rae and I went on a little trip together up to the kineret (sea of galilee) and slept on the beach, and that is still one of my favorite memories ever of Israel, so hopefully we can swing by there this time and I can convince them to do some camping with me. We'll see.

So in all this thinking about who I am and where I'm heading in life, I've come up with a new idea in terms of profession. I think I might wanna go into something like counseling for families or couples. I'm just realizing that the thing I love to do most is sit and listen to people and talk to people and try to help them out, and I certainly have a passion for family and relationships, so I think I'd be good at that...maybe end up with a private practice eventually, or a PhD so I can teach, too...or maybe combine it with writing, like do research or write articles...I know, I have a different idea every other month, but this is the latest, and I like it right now. There's actually a program at a school near here where you can get a degree in that, so I'm gonna ask them about it and see what's what, just to get an idea of what it would involve. My basic plan in terms of career has been to find a job I enjoy when I get back to the states, something where I can help people hands-on, and then go from there in terms of deciding the best degrees to go for. But I don't want to just let things happen totally by chance and circumstance -- I want to make sure I direct my own fate, and end up in a profession where I can use my talents as well as enjoy myself while I do so. I know, it's not a perfect world, but I can at least strive for that kind of goal. And yeah, you can't really plan for anything in life since usually the curve balls come when you least expect them and nothing goes according to plan, (especially considering the current sorry state of the American economy...can't wait to come home to that one...) but I think it's still important to aim for goals, even if you end up reaching them in roundabout ways, or not at all. So, yeah, I'll be asking around about that counseling thing, and if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know.

Anyways I'm pretty tired, even though I just spent a whole day eating and resting, I think I might be coming down with something...lots of girls got sick last week, so I've been trying to take care of myself, but I duno, maybe I caught something. Hope not. Point is, sorry this post is kinda short/lame, but I think I wana go back to sleep now.

I hope everyone is doing well, I miss you all, a ton. I love it here, but I really cant wait to come home again and see everyone, hopefully a bit wiser and more mature and ready for life than I was when I left. I wish I was better at this whole being away from home thing, but really, maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe I'm just the type to want to always be close to the people I love....that's good right? Right.

Love, shira

ps I have been watching every episode of Scrubs and Fresh Prince, and I have to say, those are 2 really great shows. (my friend has all of them on her laptop. Good times. Don't take your TV for granted. Mmph.)